December 26, 2011

A Bunny Named Emily

My second book. For my daughter, Emily


Emily was a bunny, who was very, very funny. She loved to laugh and play. Emily went to see her grandma one day, but she ran into some rain on the way. “Oh no!” she said as she ran and hid. “Look at this mess I am in.” She found a bush that was quite thick, and sat and waited a bit.

“Hey over here,” said a voice that was weird. Where did that strange voice come from? Emily looked at the ground, and saw a turtle sitting down surrounded by daisies and mums.
 
“Want to play a game?!” the turtle exclaimed, and Emily just shook her head yes. “It’s not really a game, but it’s all just the same. It’s really more like a test. That fox, over there, was not playing fair, and got me into this mess.” 
 
The mess, it seems, was really quite messy. Emily never would have thought in her dreams. The turtle and the fox were brothers, no doubt, and Emily was stuck right in between! Their dad was lost in the woods and the turtle was blaming the fox. Emily will help the turtle out, and at the same time she’ll help the fox!
 
“I’ll help you find your daddy!,” Emily shouted. That made the fox’s ears perk up. It even made the turtle stop pouting. What a crazy day to go to Grandma’s and play. It was quite an excitable outing, even the sun was finally shining. “Follow me to the pond, that’s where all my friends play.  Your parents probably just stopped for a drink on the way.” Emily was practically shouting.
 
On the way, they laughed and played, and they all became close friends. They played tag, hide and seek, and ran all the way around a bend. Now they could see the pond. There were ducks, and geese, some turtles, some frogs, but the kids' dad was no where to be found. “Our home,” said the fox “Is underneath the ground.” 
 
Emily was thinking very hard, what kind of animal could he be? His kids are a turtle and a fox, but there was no resemblance to be seen. She took a step, and tripped on a log; out popped a chubby little groundhog! “I’ve been looking everywhere for my kids, come give Daddy a hug!”
 
How silly is that, a groundhog for a dad. Emily was chuckling and laughing.  “Thank you so much for finding my kids, but I guess that’s what I get for napping. I was so worried about my kids. You see, their both just so darn crafty. If I would have kept a better eye on them, this would never be happening!”

The fox and the turtle told Emily goodbye, and then they finished walking home. “Buh-bye, our friend, and what fun it has been!” the fox said with a nod and they were gone. Emily kept singing and playing all the way to Grandma’s. Emily had such a good day, she couldn’t wait to tell Grandma about her new friends.
 
Emily skipped and hopped past the pond. Then she ran all the way around the bend. Emily jumped over sticks and hopped over logs. Then there it was, a house in the fog. Emily made it to her Grandma’s house. She loved the walk here, and that she made a couple new friends to hold dear.

“Grandma! Grandma! I had such an amazing day. I met a turtle, who’s brother is a fox, along the way.” Grandma laughed and smiled, and gave Emily a hug. Nothing felt as good as Grandma’s hugs and loves. Grandma said, “That’s nice sweetheart. I’m glad you made new friends today. Hooray!”
 
Emily, the funny bunny, stayed with her grandma that night. They watched movies, played games, and they even had a pillow fight. Good things happen to those who help, and treat others nice. It feels so good to be a friend, because friendships are always right.
 
 

1 comment: